Our client is sourcing for a 12 month contract to cover a long term leave. The Financial Planning Analyst (FPA) is a senior analytical role that plays a key role in financial planning and analysis through creation, monitoring and forecasting of the Annual Operating Budget and supports the Director, Financial Planning. While the FPA position is a broad role, each individual maintains primary responsibility for particular areas of specialization.
About the Opportunity
The duties of this position will include, but are not limited to the following:
- Advises and assists in the development and review of the financial plan:
- Supports the complete development of the financial plan, particularly as it relates to the operating budget
- Provides client support in budget development, creates revenue models and projects allowable spending limits
- Provides client support in budget development, creation of corporate revenue models, costing of staffing plans, creation and monitoring of the enrollment plan and the determination of allowable spending
- Recommends to the Director, Financial Planning actions concerning budgeting process (e.g. budgeted salary savings, system enhancements, major projects etc.).
- Provides operational support and directs operations in financial matters:
- Provides ongoing support to financial managers within the FPA’s client support group, directing managers in budget preparation & analysis, budget performance monitoring and forecasting. Supporting clients includes transacting monthly calendarization changes, budget adjustments with particular emphasis on providing accurate and meaningful year-end projections.
- Analyzes and reports on budget vs. actual, revenue vs. expenses and budget vs. forecast. Advises on the financial implications to the financial plan.
- Reviews monthly operating statements and detail reports to verify entries (budget, actual, commitments) for appropriateness and compliance with GAAP and provides direction to managers on apparent discrepancies.
- Provides advice during the drafting of grant application on the proposed budget and accounting implications for each new contract. Processes Ministry and other Federal funding partner’s quarterly and annual returns/claims including preparation of financial and statistical data to ensure it meets contract requirements
- Acts as a mentor and trainer to Financial Managers, including training of departmental staff in the use of using available reports, and in particular the importance of forecasting etc.
- Reviews assumptions with seniors and prepares 5-year cash flow analysis for new programs, including detailed enrollment, revenue and expenditure analysis.
- Prepares a summary of issues, observations and recommendations for each new proposal for consideration by the Director for presentation to the Management committee
- Other Initiatives and Project-Based activities:
- Supports the development of the annual program costing analysis and program rationalization exercise, including the summarization of program costing reports to senior management. Will address questions, concerns and investigate the validity of potential revisions to the final report to Senior Management
- Monitor, research and prepare detailed analysis on year-to-date budget variances, perform monthly account reconciliations for areas that the FP&A is responsible for and reconcile grant funding to contracts
- Support the annual audit by preparing working papers and detailed analysis for areas that the FP&A is responsible for
- A degree or equivalent in such disciplines as Business, Commerce or a related field, and a professional accounting designation (Certified Professional Accountant - CPA) is required for this position
- 5 years minimum experience in a related position
- Very strong and demonstrated analytical skills are critical for this position
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and well developed problem solving skills
- Other essential skills include strong time management skills, ability to learn quickly and adapt to changing conditions and requirements, initiative, ability to work alone and as a member of a team, excellent interpersonal skills, ability to coach/guide others, high degree of accuracy and attention to detail
- Advanced Microsoft Office skills (with a focus on data manipulation tools – Access & Excel)
- Ability to develop and effectively deliver presentations (including the use of PowerPoint)
- Demonstrated commitment and understanding of human rights, equity, diversity and inclusion with the ability to communicate and work effectively inter-culturally with diverse groups of employees and the community
How to Apply
Click the “Apply Now” button and follow the instructions to submit your resume. Please note that we only accept documents in MS Word or Rich Text formats. When referencing this job, quote #25159.
You must currently reside within the Greater Toronto Area and be permitted to work in Canada to be considered for this opportunity. A recruiter will be in touch with you if your profile meets our client’s requirements for this role.