The Senior Accountant will be a vital member of the Canadian finance team, helping to ensure successful delivery of accounting activities. Reporting to the Canadian Controller, this position will perform or support key accounting processes and financial activities including monthly/quarterly/annual reporting, balance sheet analysis, banking and account reconciliation and review, the preparation of journal entries, cash flow forecasting, business analytics, metrics reporting, ad-hoc analysis, tax compliance and the setup of procedures and finance policies for Canada. This position digs into the details, utilizes all resources to gather information and quickly solve problems. You will also work with our global team on intercompany transactions, transfer pricing, tax forecasting, treasury management, and finance shared services (AP and AR).
To be successful in the role, this person needs to work well in a team environment, have great attention to detail, strong organizational, problem-solving and communication skills and a natural curiosity to dig into variances and investigate unusual activity.
About the Opportunity
- Be involved in the maintenance of the general ledger by transferring subsidiary accounts, preparing trial balances, reconciling entries, account reconciliations and ad-hoc data analysis
- Assist in the proposal of asset, liability, revenue, and expenses entries by compiling and calculating account information around inventory, deferred revenues, sales returns reserves and pre-publication asset accounts by compiling electronic data. Understands these various transaction types and the impact of the transactions on reported financial information
- Ensure the integrity of accounting information by analyzing, calculating, and verifying complex financial records and reports
- Summarize financial status by collecting information and preparing financial statements and other statements
- Support month end and year end close processes
- Assist in the creation of finance policies for the newly created Canadian operations
- Timely and accurate completion of monthly, quarterly, and annual close processes using JD Edwards EnterpriseOne, Hyperion Essbase, Showcase, DataWarehouse, Excel and Access
- Maintain, support and complete month end data integrity checks, journal entries, and core account reconciliations
- Be involved in the preparation of the weekly cash flow forecast and analysis related thereto
- Monitor accounts receivable to identify to delinquent accounts, insufficient payments and customer balances nearing credit limits
- Be involved in the processes and procedures for new vendor onboarding and ensuring compliance.
- Assist in the review and reconciliation of bank reconciliations
- Be involved in tax compliance including the creation, distribution and reporting of tax datasheets related to the company’s corporate tax returns, sales tax filings, NR4, T4A and T5 filings
- Perform other duties as assigned to meet the goals of the department
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting/Finance or equivalent experience
- CPA required
- Minimum of 3 years of relevant experience working with accounting & reporting systems and financial analysis
- Thorough knowledge of accounting procedures, including preparing month-end reports and financial forecasts
- Understanding of revenue recognition policies, calculations of deferred revenues, inventory and sales return reserve calculations
- Knowledge of tax concepts to assist external accountants with the preparation of corporate tax returns, T4A, T5 and NR4 filings
- Knowledge of payroll concepts to assist shared services team in the preparation of T4’s
- Strong analytical, organizational, problem-solving and communication skills
- Results oriented, innovative, adaptable, strong attention to detail, & capable of working independently
- Strong working knowledge of MS Excel (Excel Power Pivot & vlookups) and MS Access is a must
- Experience with ERP Systems such as Oracle, SAP, JD Edwards or EnterpriseOne is an asset
- Ability to work with deadlines and a schedule that will require busier and longer working days during the month end and year end close processes
$60,000 - $65,000/year
How to Apply
Click the “Apply Now” button and follow the instructions to submit your resume. Please note that we only accept documents in MS Word or Rich Text formats. When referencing this job, quote #28746.
You must currently reside within the Greater Toronto Area and be permitted to work in Canada to be considered for this opportunity. A recruiter will be in touch with you if your profile meets our client’s requirements for this role.