About the Opportunity
The Payroll Specialist plays a critical role in the payroll department and is responsible for leading payroll processing, year-end processing, and responding to advanced inquiries from the business. This role reports to the Payroll Manager. The Payroll Specialist is also responsible for maintaining pay rule configuration in the company's time and attendance system (Kronos).
- Experienced professional able to complete entire payroll processing cycle - lead high volume, multi-transactional bi-weekly salaried and hourly (Union and Non-Union) payroll for 2,500 employees using Workday Payroll
- Responsible for executing the Workday payroll closing steps - performing full review of all audit results, identifying issues and errors, and correcting data or initiating that data is corrected to greater HRIS team. Review data entered by the Payroll Coordinator and auditing controls for segregation of duties. Primary point of contact for benefits, HR partners and HRIS team for payroll team
- Audit and balance Kronos (Time-tracking system) hours weekly and contact Managers to correct hours, as needed. Run integration between Kronos and Workday and action error report. Audit and balance hours in Workday
- Maintain pay rule configuration (work shifts) within Kronos and collaborate with HR and the Business to design and input new shifts as required by the business, which includes making updates in Kronos to ensure alignment to Workday configuration updates
- Identity and propose process improvement projects for the end to end payroll process, and support Payroll Manager by contributing to payroll configuration design, leading the testing requirements, and implementing changes to both Kronos and Workday. Partner and work cross functionally with HR and IT on all payroll-related enhancements and projects
- Reconcile payroll items to compensation-related General Ledger (GL). Fulfill audit requests for both financial statement audits and other payroll audits (e.g. WSIB) and serve as primarily point of contact escalating issues to the Payroll Manager as needed
- Mentor to Payroll Coordinator, assist with troubleshooting payroll inquiries, and common bi-weekly payroll issues including; rejected pay deposits, transmitting wires, making Pension payments, troubleshooting ROE exceptions
- Serve as the primary payroll contact between company and payroll services provider
- Perform special research and analysis on technical requests for Workday, learn and develop Workday skills
- Stay up to date on Payroll related legislation
- University degree preferred
- 3-5 years’ experience with both salaried and hourly payroll
- Knowledge of Canadian payroll compliance and related legislation (CRA, ESA, WSIB, EHT, Privacy)
- Experience processing Quebec and unionized payrolls
- Experience with cloud-based HRIS applications, and in-house payroll systems (Kronos and Workday experience an asset)
- Payroll accounting experience an asset
- Payroll Compliance Practitioner certification preferred
- Bilingual - French and English preferred
$65,000 - $75,000/year
How to Apply
Click the “Apply Now” button and follow the instructions to submit your resume. Please note that we only accept documents in MS Word or Rich Text formats. When referencing this job, quote #27933.
You must currently reside within the Greater Toronto Area and be permitted to work in Canada to be considered for this opportunity. A recruiter will be in touch with you if your profile meets our client’s requirements for this role.