About the Opportunity
- Lead payroll projects culminating in the planning, development and implementation of a new Human Resources Information System HRIS
- Review, document and update existing policies and procedures.
- Identify process gaps and system improvements to reduce the current significant volumes of manual intervention in transferring time and attendance into payroll, tracking vacation/statutory holiday/sick time banks and related adjustments.
- Working closely with IT and HR departments, oversee and execute process changes in preparation for implementation of a new payroll system.
- As the payroll subject matter expert in the overall HRIS project team, provide technical support and train users throughout the development and implementation of the new systems.
- Manage payroll operations, administration and reporting requirements.
- Maintain payroll schedules to meet legal, contractual and hospital requirements and deadlines.
- Review, verifying and correct any errors before submitting each payroll run to the bank.
- Audit, balance and submit all payroll related government payments and reports in a timely manner, including all monthly and annual reporting and submissions; such as Taxes, CPP, EI, WSIB and EHT
- Ensure accurate remittances of group benefits including year-end reporting
- In conjunction with the IT department develop, test, verify and implement any changes to payroll software, eg annual release, new income or deduction tables.
- Code changes to general ledger reporting and reconcile related accounts.
- Stay up to date with legislative changes relating to payroll and
- Ensures any requests for information and internal reports are disseminated in a timely manner.
- Create a healthy work environment based on best practices in human resource leadership including adherence to Collective Agreements
- Build and lead a team to achieve the department’s objectives while encouraging a culture of quality customer service, problem-solving and innovation
- Prioritizes staff workload to ensure deadlines are met
- Provide guidance to staff regarding procedural and technical issues
- Fosters an atmosphere of continuous learning, professional development and performance improvement
- Holds staff meetings to efficiently cover new or evolving departmental goals, process changes and training needs
- Certified Payroll Manager (CPM) certification through the Canadian Payroll Association is required.
- Degree or Diploma in business administration, accounting or finance is preferred.
- Intermediate to advanced MS Office skills– Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, Outlook
- Minimum 5 years' experience administering full cycle Canadian payroll, preferably within a large healthcare organization or similar organization with 7 days by 24 hours operation
- 3-5 years' experience managing a payroll team
- Experience and proficiency in the setup, maintenance and use of computerized payroll systems
- Strong understanding of database architecture and interface between various applications.
- Strong understanding of federal and provincial labour standards and regulations
- Full knowledge of all relevant Canadian legislation governing payroll calculation and reporting
- Demonstrated knowledge and ability to interpret collective agreements, and personnel policies and procedures
- Knowledge of MIS Guidelines would be considered an asset
- Knowledge of HOOPP or similar defined benefit pension plans
- Good labour and employee relations skills - experience in a unionized environment preferred
- Good judgement and problem solving skills, with the ability to make timely and sound decisions.
- Ability to communicate and influence change effectively in both written and oral form
- Demonstrates personal responsibility for keeping up with current industry information and desire to expand knowledge and skills
- Looks for ways to develop strategies and standards to improve processes
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, working and communicating effectively with internal and external stakeholders
- Strong interpersonal skills, proven leadership skills and exhibit a high level of professionalism
- Good work and attendance record required
$1,10,000 - $1,20,000/year
How to Apply
Click the “Apply Now” button and follow the instructions to submit your resume. Please note that we only accept documents in MS Word or Rich Text formats. When referencing this job, quote #345633
You must currently reside within the Greater Toronto Area and be permitted to work in Canada to be considered for this opportunity. A recruiter will be in touch with you if your profile meets our client’s requirements for this role.