About the Opportunity
- Managing organizational processes and employee events in the employment life cycle that have a payroll component; (responsibilities include processing complex or escalated issues related to salaried, unionized, hourly and contractor payroll; overseeing reconciliation, year-end tax related duties and compliance related reporting)
- Overseeing source data quality, accuracy and financial integrity; (including maintaining, directing or auditing any work done by staff, as well as the systems, frameworks and processes used by the team)
- Mentor, develop, inspire and lead the payroll team to achieve the department’s objectives, while promoting a strong culture of service excellence, quality outcomes, problem-resolution and innovation; (Chair staff meetings to efficiently cover new or evolving departmental goals, process changes, continuous improvements and staff development / training needs)
- Fostering and integrating cross-functional activities amongst the Human Resources, Finance / Corporate Services, and Business Informatics teams
- Providing Payroll metrics and reporting as it relates to network benchmarks and other internal and external needs
- Co-leads the selection and successful implementation of new systems
- Identifying and implementing best practice initiatives and continuous improvement activities; (& being responsible for changes/updates related to legislative changes, policy changes, and collective bargaining agreement modifications impacting payroll)
- Developing strategies, operating policies, processes, systems, tools, financial controls and procedures
- Degree or Diploma in Business Administration, Accounting, Finance or Human Resources Management
- Certified Payroll Manager (CPM) certification through the Canadian Payroll Association, or Finance/HR equivalent
- 5+ years of progressive management experience in a Payroll department
- Experience managing large payrolls for multiple sites for both non-union and unionized staff with multiple collective agreements
- Knowledge of a variety of integrated HRIS and payroll systems is required; Infor / Lawson systems ideal
- In depth knowledge and ability to apply and interpret Canadian payroll legislation, Employment Standards, taxation rules and year-end reporting processes
- Excellent communication skills (English) both written and oral
- Strong attention to detail, and proven ability to take initiative, make independent decisions, exercise sound judgment, develop creative solution and meet deadlines.
- Demonstrated analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to maintain composure and handle multiple conflicting priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Demonstrated experience identifying and implementing process and service improvements on a continuous basis
$100,000 - $118,000/year
How to Apply
Click the “Apply Now” button and follow the instructions to submit your resume. Please note that we only accept documents in MS Word or Rich Text formats. When referencing this job, quote #343236.
You must currently reside within the Greater Toronto Area and be permitted to work in Canada to be considered for this opportunity. A recruiter will be in touch with you if your profile meets our client’s requirements for this role.