About the Opportunity
- Executing and supervising the end-to-end processing of weekly and bi-weekly payrolls, and ensuring omissions and discrepancies are quickly addressed.
- Leading, developing and managing the Payroll team in achieving business objectives and meeting internal service level agreements.
- Updating and maintaining the payroll system (Core payroll processing and Time and Attendance modules) including:
- setting up new earnings and deduction codes;
- planning for system upgrades;
- testing upgrades and performing user acceptance testing; and
- preparing and updating training materials as required for extensive upgrades.
- Generating monthly and annual payroll remittances, filings and reconciliations with respect to government withholdings.
- Processing and distribution of annual employee tax documents
- Overseeing payroll accounting function with respect to payroll disbursements, journal entries, accruals, allocation reports, G/L account and table building, mapping and reconciliation.
- Forecasting of payroll costs to determine organizational budgets
- Troubleshooting payroll and time attendance systems in collaboration with the HR Technology and Process Specialist.
- Identifying, developing and implementing process improvements in order to build efficiencies, streamline processes and increase productivity throughout all payroll tasks.
- Creating, compiling and summarizing payroll information for internal and external auditors and management reports, as required.
- Responding to employee queries, as required.
- Investigating, escalating and resolving payroll issues to ensure timely and accurate resolution.
- Keeping abreast of relevant provincial and state requirements.
- Managing documentation, including user guides, and training materials related to payroll and timekeeping processes.
- Working with internal partners in HR, Total Rewards and Finance as well as external third parties such as tax regulators, auditors, payroll technology vendor.
- University or College Degree in related field, including some accounting course-work.
- 7+ years of experience in Payroll with minimum 3 years supervisory experience.
- Experience with in-house payroll processing systems
- Familiarity with standard accounting principles with exposure to general ledger reconciliation in a project driven environment.
- Thorough knowledge of provincial and state legislation such as employment and labour standards,
- Good knowledge of Workers Compensation remittance requirements.
- Technical knowledge and attention to detail.
- Excellent communication (verbal and written) and interpersonal skills.
- Proven analytical skills.
- Collaborative leader with ability to work well in a small team with heavy reliance on sharing information and ensuring proper back-up.
- Ability to work efficiently under pressure, accurately meet deadlines, present a professional demeanor and work well independently
- Troubleshooting and problem-solving skills with a can-do attitude and the ability to adjust to changing requirements
- Proven ability to maintain confidentiality and practice discretion in interactions and dealings with other
- Ability to work a hybrid work schedule from our Downtown Toronto and/or Mississauga Office
Up to $140,000/year
How to Apply
Click the “Apply Now” button and follow the instructions to submit your resume. Please know that we only accept documents in MS Word or Rich Text formats.
When referencing this job, quote #391148.
You must currently reside within the Greater Toronto Area and be permitted to work in Canada to be considered for this opportunity. A recruiter will be in touch with you if your profile meets our client’s requirements for this role.