About the Company
Our client has been providing construction services to a long list of new and repeat clients for decades. They are looking for a Director of Tax to report to the Vice President, Corporate Controller, the Director, Tax will direct and oversee all aspects of the organization’s corporate tax strategy. This includes supporting tax matters such as planning, reporting, compliance, project management, relationship management and post-merger integration. They will also be responsible for identifying process improvements, implementing changes, and ensuring best practices.
Why Work Here
- Autonomy to shape the role
- Canadian headquartered company that is growing massively through acquisition
- Broad tax role - Canadian corporate tax, some international tax, a good component of research, some oversight of commodity tax.
About the Opportunity
- Lead, inspire and manage a tax team in a collaborative environment, with a focus on driving projects to successful completion
- Conduct performance plans and assessments with direct reports
- Maintain high level of morale among direct reports and act as coach and mentor to direct reports
- Oversee and direct the management of all tax exposure and risk to the company
- Lead the yearly review of corporate tax and partnership tax returns
- Evaluate strategic business initiatives including M&A opportunities and facilitate due diligence work
- Oversee tax audits and communication with external auditors
- Direct quarter end tax provisions and supporting schedules, including the current and deferred tax provisions
- Oversee intercompany transfer pricing and management services agreements between entities
- Create and maintain strong working relationships with tax advisors for all complex tax issues
- Work with accounting and compliance team leaders to ensure transactions are accurately documented and reported
- Communicate and coordinate with senior leadership and risk management department on corporate structure changes and tax planning strategies
- Lead the development of long-term tax strategies and maintain efficient corporate structure
- Oversee commodity and corporate income tax compliance, monitoring changes in legislation and development of training for other departments
- Stay current with changing tax laws and evolving structures that may impact Bird transactions and structures
- Strategically plan and implement changes in response to international taxes and duties associated with Bird’s investment in a steel frame modular manufacturing company based in Asia that exports products to North America
- Lead comprehensive review of post-merger corporate structure, including integration of tax policies and processes.
- Seek out and work with tax consultants as needed for project structures on Public Private Partnership (PPP) project
- CPA designation and completed CPA In-Depth Tax Course
- 10+ years’ progressive Canadian corporate tax and industry experience
- Commodity tax (GST, PST, QST) and in-depth tax experience is a strong asset
- Software experience with Taxprep, Viewpoint, SAP, IFRS an asset
$175,000 - 185,000/year
How to Apply
Click the “Apply Now” button and follow the instructions to submit your resume. Please know that we only accept documents in MS Word or Rich Text formats.
When referencing this job, quote # 30603
You must currently reside within the Greater Toronto Area and be permitted to work in Canada to be considered for this opportunity. A recruiter will be in touch with you if your profile meets our client’s requirements for this role.