About the Company
Our client is a leader in the public sector. They are looking for an Auditor to join their audit team.
Why Work Here
- Fairly mature and tenured team
- Office culture professional and diverse
About the Opportunity
- Client Service Delivery
- Conducts a variety of audit assignments, either as a member of an audit team or as sole auditor, in accordance with rules and By-laws, audit plans and auditing techniques.
- Examines accounting records maintained by lawyers ensuring compliance with Rules of Professional Conduct, bylaws and policies.
- Examines other documents and records and interviews the lawyers, their staff, or others as indicated.
- Prepares audit memos, analyzing and summarizing audit findings and general comments, and making suggestions for improvement.
- Assesses the need for, recommends, prepares and obtains signed undertakings from lawyers where appropriate.
- Identifies serious breaches of bylaw or Rules of Professional Conduct and as required, may recommend escalation to an investigation team where findings indicate a referral to discipline is a likely outcome.
- Identifies practice management issues for referral to Practice Review.
- Follows up on audits to ensure recommendations for improvement are acted on and prior undertakings are complied with.
- Verifies lawyers’ information in the self-reporting database, correcting erroneous information.
- Follows procedural and administrative requirements with respect to ensuring appropriate authorizations are obtained prior to initiating audit, following specified procedures for contacting lawyers and conducting audit.
- Potentially, the incumbent could be called upon to testify as a witness by Discipline Counsel.
- Performance Goals, Targets and Standards
- Works with other team members to establish, monitor and continuously improve processes and individual performance targets.
- Policy Development
- Identifies and informs Director, Practice Audits of the need for policy development or change in areas related to By-law 9, Lawyer’s Annual Report, Licensing Process and Rules of Professional Conduct and other Spot Audit activity.
- Participates in the development of policy when assigned.
- Team Membership
- Promotes the sharing and transfer of knowledge and information amongst team members, particularly as it relates to specialist knowledge, such as private mortgages and estates.
- Ensures that audit reports and memos are complete, accurate and can be readily used by members of investigations teams, if required.
- 3+ years financial, regulatory or compliance auditing experience, ideally related to the practice of law.
- Knowledge of real estate law, estate law and related accounting requirements would be an asset.
- Computer literacy, including word processing software, spreadsheet functions and accounting system software.
Up to $100,000/year
How to Apply
Click the “Apply Now” button and follow the instructions to submit your resume. Please know that we only accept documents in MS Word or Rich Text formats. When referencing this job, quote # 327493.
You must currently reside within the Greater Toronto Area and be permitted to work in Canada to be considered for this opportunity. A recruiter will be in touch with you if your profile meets our client’s requirements for this role