About the Opportunity
- Manage the effective planning, establishment and maintenance of the accounting policies and procedures within the Financial Reporting division. This includes: Research, document and make recommendations on complex accounting issues, investment transactions and on new or amended accounting standards;
- Benchmark and complete impact and risk assessments of new or amended accounting standards; Recommend accounting positions to be taken and impact to the financial statements and liaise with other teams and external auditors, where necessary
- Provide technical advice and expertise to team members, management, Financial Reporting, Actuarial Services and Financial Planning & Operations, and externally with External Auditors and External Actuaries, with respect to the accounting policies and procedures within the Financial Reporting division.
- On an ongoing basis, identify and monitor emerging trends, issues, accounting standards updates and legislative changes to determine the potential for impact on services, resources or policies and make recommendations to senior management on possible solutions and short and long term courses of action.
- Support the Director, Accounting Policy and Financial Reporting in providing technical accounting guidance to IFRS Projects to ensure smooth and effective implementation of major-impacting new and revised standards. This includes: Ensure new policies/updates are properly interpreted and applied during the implementation stage. Provide advice on matters impacting Finance and collaborate with Finance management and other stakeholders to ensure issues, risks and concerns are properly addressed and communicated at the Project Executive and/or Sponsors meetings. Communication focuses on interaction with the Vice-Presidents and Chiefs regarding progress, risks and issues impacting the corporate initiatives, and the recommendation of options to address the risks and issues. Ensure service excellence is provided to all internal and external customers and stakeholders, achieving corporate level customer service objectives
- Participate in developing short and long term business plans and setting of goals and objectives for the Branch, which support and align with the divisional and organizational strategic direction.
- Represent the Director, Accounting Policy and Financial Reporting on various committees and working groups within the organization and externally on a quarterly/annual basis or as required
- Develop and maintain effective communications linkages and working relationships internally with Management, Financial Reporting, Internal Audit, Actuarial Services and Financial Planning & Operations, and externally with External Auditors and External Actuaries as required to identify needs, discuss and resolve issues and exchange information of mutual concern
- Accounting Designation - CPA CA preferred
- 7 years’ experience in a supervisory role within an accounting or finance environment - financial reporting, advisory role, research on technical issues including IFRS implementation
- Ability to draft technical memos to explain impact of new accounting policies applicable
- Excellent Communication skills - Written and Verbal
- Managerial experience is desirable
How to Apply
Click the “Apply Now” button and follow the instructions to submit your resume. Please note that we only accept documents in MS Word or Rich Text formats. When referencing this job, quote #387108.
You must currently reside within the Greater Toronto Area and be permitted to work in Canada to be considered for this opportunity. A recruiter will be in touch with you if your profile meets our client’s requirements for this role.